This beautiful little town of great historical and artistic value, crossed by the river Misa, dates back to the far prehistoric times. In fact, many findings have been rediscovered along the valleys of Misa and Nevola, which attest the presence of human settlements already since the age of iron. The most acclaimed historiographic tradition asserts that the city was founded by a tribe of Galli Senoni that settled in around the 4th century. Rome was pushed to occupy the area for its beauty and assets, in such a way to make it an important Empire's colony.
In 409 A.D. the city was plundered by the Visigoths of Alaric and destroyed during the battles of the Greek-Gothic war at the end of which it proudly rose again and became part of the so called Maritime Pentapolis, headed to Ravenna. In 764 and 772 Senigallia knew as well the Longobards' invasion who plundered and depopulated it because of the innumerable killings. In the 12th century Senigallia became free under the Pontifical State - which allocated, destroyed and impoverished it - to Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta who lost it in 1474 when Pope Sisto IV consigned the city to his grandson Giovanni Della Rovere, already Lord of Urbino. During this period, the city knew a surprising development from agriculture to commerce, and it was artificially and architecturally enriched with two still existing masterpieces: the Rocca Roveresca and the Duke's Palace. From 1600 for about 150 years, Senigallia knew its full splendour, it was the core of free trade and commerce that would make it popular all over the word.